Thursday, April 16, 2009

Where's My Change? Part 2

Ok, so on to Part 2, and I'll try to be more brief about some of the changes in married life.

Organization- Yes, yes, if you know me, you know that's a foreign if not four-letter word to me. Organization to me is simple: it means what seems simplest at the time... not always translating to real efficiency. Chantelle has very detailed organizational skills that are highly efficient, but they follow rules that exist largely in her mind and are therefore highly mysterious. Why does the folder not go with the other folders? I don't know. Still, it's very positive. I'm getting more organized and productive especially around the house. I worry it's more self-preservation than good character. I work harder to clean and such because Chantelle hasn't been able to as much and the mess will drive her to distraction. It also teaches humility as the reforming slob, now has to deal with the frustration of his former sins.... Honey, can you please leave the dishes in the general area of the sink?

Emotions- No, no, I'm not talking about the mysteries of the temperament of my bride. It's mine that are driving me crazy more often. I thought I generally had a solid grasp on my temper, but suddenly I've got all these new triggers. I'm even tempered, generally, but suddenly I find myself wanting to hit a girl. That's bad! Fortunately, it wasn't Chantelle, but her former advisor, who seemed... difficult. Additionally, my temper flares up because though I understand how my emotions work, my other part is still getting the hang of it. So you try and explain what happens normally in you, and find you're back at square one. What took me 30 years to understand, I now have to start relearning in a way I can explain. FUN!

Rest- As Chantelle said so delicately, I snore. The truth is, I roar softly. Chantelle, being as sweet-spirited as she is, has developed a gentle system of stopping it... she elbows me until I quit. So how twisted is it that now I sleep better in the same bed being jabbed periodically than when apart? Additionally, our ideas of relaxing are very different. Going out is part of external life to me... home is end game, the finish line. For her, home is a staging area, of sorts. It's the launch pad for getting out into life. So I'm learning, that when it's busy or tiring, that often means it's time to go somewhere.... very counter-intuitive for me. And then there's the home improvement aspect of rest and responsibility. I had the mistaken idea that home improvement was something you did so that you could stop and not have to do it anymore. Chantelle comes from a family for whom it is a hobby... which I found delightful. So much talent, so much creativity, so much energy, so much future assistance.... oh yeah, so much to do already. But it's good too, because I have an even more profound respect for her creativity. How can she see something totally different about that wall than all the others? She's teaching me to be more willing to invest in what I would have otherwise tended to think of as empty trappings.

No comments:

Post a Comment